Friday, July 11, 2014

Fire razes houses in Yaba

Friday, July 11, 2014

Fire razes houses in Yaba

BY SODIQ OYELEKE

Residents of Makoko, Yaba, on Thursday said they lost a fortune to a fire that razed the area on Wednesday night.

Our correspondent gathered that the outbreak started from the room of a tenant, identified as Iyawo Oseku.

According to eyewitnesses, Iyawo Oseku's child put a lighted candle under the bed, which caught fire and escalated and razed other shanties.

They said Iyawo Oseku ran away with her children immediately the fire escalated.

The residents said they had lost their valuables to the fire that started around 7.20pm.

They added that several others, especially children, sutained injuries.

One of the eyewitness, identified as Iya Lati, said she almost lost her life to the incident.

Iya Lati, said "The fire started from Iyawo Oseku's room. She told her four-year-old child to light the candle and that the girl took it under the bed. The bed caught fire and before we know it, the whole area went up in flames.

"It was God that saved my life and that of my children because my room was the closest to Iyawo Oseku's room. I was already sleeping until a call came in. I was about receiving the call when I saw fire. All my property are lost. I could not pick anything except my phone."

Another resident said he lost N120,000 that he recently got from a monthly contribution.

Another resident added, "My generator, television set, clothes were lost."

One of the occupants of the burnt plank-house, who identified himself simply as Baba, said he was bathing when the fire started.

He said he ran out of the house naked.

He said, "I was bathing when I heard the noise. I peeped and saw the fire. I just ran out naked. I have even forgotten that I was naked until a woman gave me her wrapper."

When our correspondent visited the place, some fire fighters were seen battling the inferno. The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency officials were also seen at the scene.

http://www.punchng.com/metro-plus/fire-razes-houses-in-yaba/

Written by

Sodiq Oyeleke is a Media, Human Resources, Project Management and Public Relations Practitioner

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2016 NEWSTRAWL. All rights reserved. Designed by oxv234.com

Back To Top