Sunday, December 06, 2015

Sunday, December 06, 2015

Ooni: Palace workers express doubt over work termination

Sodiq Oyeleke

Some palace workers during the reign of former Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade, have expressed doubt that they may not be retained by Ooni-elect, Prince Adeyeye  Enitan Ogunwusi.

It would be recalled that Oba Sijuwade joined his
ancestors on July 28, 2015 at a London hospital after a brief illness. 

Since the emergenc of Prince Ogunwusi, ‎traditional rites have commenced immediately
with  a series of initiations that would last for 21 days at Ilofi
shrine.

During rites Ogunwusi would be taken through the rudiments of his duties as the custodian of Yoruba culture and tradition.

According to tradition, the new Ooni would not
resume at the palace until the coronation rites are completed.

When our correspondent visited the palace on Thursday, a retired soldier is the
Chief Security Officer (CSO), Mr Sunday Oyewande, who was employed by the late Oba
Sijuwade was still on duty.

According to the CSO, he has worked in the palace for 28 years and willing to work with the next Ooni.

The CSO said, "I cannot talk to you about the
security of the palace. I would only tell you that we really missed our late Kabiyesi (monarch). He brought me here from the Nigeria army."

Also, the media
aide to the late traditional ruler, Mr. Funmilola Olorunnisola, said‎ when the new Ooni completes his coronation rites, he was not sure whether he would serve the Ooni-elect. 

"I served the late Ooni for 30 years. I'm 65-years-old now. The late Ooni brought me to the palace despite the fact that I'm not from Ile-Ife.
I'm from Ijebu-Jesa. I will just say that the decision is for our new Ooni whether I would serve him or not," he added.

 Mallam Sa'ad Isa, an indigene of Katsina State, who has been in the palace of Ooni of Ife for the past 15 years as  the Ooni's trumpeter, position was not different from others.


Isa, who was popularly known as Kakaki-Ooni meaning the Ooni's trumpeter said the late Ooni got him from
the late Emir Muhammadu Kabir Usman of Katsina.

While speaking fluently in Yoruba Language, the trumpeter expressed his willingness to
continue with the new Ooni.

Expressing doubt on whether Prince
Ogunwusi would retain him, Isa said, "The late Ooni Oba Sijuwade during one of his visits to Emir Kabir Usman told the Emir that he wanted me tofollow him to Ile-Ife and remain in Ife permanently, to blow the Kakaki at his palace. 

"Emir Kabir Usman  released me and that was how I
moved to Ife 15 years ago. My family is in Ile-Ife. My children have married in Ife and I would prefer to continue with the new Ooni if he wants me but if he does not want me, I will go back to Katsina."

Written by

Sodiq Oyeleke is a Media, Human Resources, Project Management and Public Relations Practitioner

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2016 NEWSTRAWL. All rights reserved. Designed by oxv234.com

Back To Top