Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The EFCC that will serve Nig suffered setbacks - Ribadu

Tuesday, May 22, 2012



Sodiq Oyeleke

 Former Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Chairman Mallam Nuhu Ribadu has explained how the commission started in 2003 and the controversies that contributes to its challenges.

Ribadu revealed this while delivering a lecture at the 2012 Management Day organised by the Nigerian Institute of Management on the theme “National development and mismanagement : Forces at opposite poles” on Tuesday in Lagos.

He said, “About 14 of us started the commission and with only five cars, we persevered and refused to be bought over like the Nigerian Police Force. We perform our duty diligently and objectively to achieve the aim of the commission.”

He noted that the in-effectiveness of the commission was caused by the corrupt act of the leaders who do not want to be checked for their mismanagement.

He added, “I understand that the establishment of the EFCC was a step forward and therefore, it will be surprising to you that we never had any trial from EFFCC by a regular court. So, if it is one single achievement, count it and move on it is better than none. But certainly we could do better.

“The EFCC that will work so hard suffered a terrible setback at the point when those who thought they were God and could do what they like with our country did what they wanted, but glory be to God who held them back where are they today? They are nowhere. If you like, I can name names.”

The Chairman, Petroleum Revenue Special Task Force explained that the commission got its freedom after several challenges from those at the corridor of power in the country.

He narrated, “The entire generality of Nigeria then, the President, Vice President, Secretary to the Government, Head of Police, about seven to eight of them all lined up to put me directly in front of them, to confront them. Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo told me ‘you are going back to the police’.

“It was then it started. Not long after that some people were complaining that if they were not careful, this boy from the police will come and destroy the government. Everybody there complained one by one. Some people said ‘Nuhu you don’t have the necessary experience, this is not how to do the work’ but at the end of the day, one of them said lets not crucify him let’s give him chance to say something before we pass a judgement, and I said I thank you very much for giving me the chance to serve my country. I faced Obasanjo and told him that the constitution of Nigeria gave only you the responsibility of enforcing law and accountability. You are the one that God will ask if Chairmen of Local Governments, Governors of States steal.

“I further explained to them that all what we are trying to do was to set up a commission that will be able to carry out that responsibility. You cannot keep giving billions to people and there will be nothing to call for it, we just want to ensure that they are punished according to the law.

“They don’t want that, they are comfortable with Governors to do what they like and nobody should ask them. I emphasised that the whole idea of EFCC is to check and ensure responsibility and accountability. I said that to Obasanjo and he just got out and he said ‘o pari’, that was how I got my freedom.”

While commenting on the effect of negotiation for injustice in the commission and whether he will not compromise is principle in the government service, he said, “I never for ones did a plea bargaining when I was in EFCC.

“I worked in Nigeria Police Force for 27 years and I can swear that I have never taken a bribe, wallahi-talahi. I can be in any company and survive. I will remain the Ribadu that I have always been,” he added.

The former Action Congress of Nigeria presidential candidate also condemned the Federal Government approach to providing solution to the security challenges faced by the country.

He said, “It is a very sad thing, but it is the responsibility of the government at the same time all of us, if I were Boko Haram I will be very happy because nobody is doing anything.”

He urged that all governmental agencies should be allowed to perform their duty without interference.

For instance, he said, “The tragedy about police is that for a long time it was an institution that has been neglected, disregarded and disrespected. We should know that it is the only constitutional body in Nigeria with the responsibility of enforcing law and order, but over the years because of the military control, the police was never given the chance to really develop and be an institution that will do its own responsibility, up till now the military are still in charge of the security of Nigeria.”

He, however, refused to make any comment on his position on the fuel subsidy removal policy.

“I am chairing the task force in that capacity, I am doing a lot of things and will rather keep quiet now until the time will come when I will have to address that,” he said.

Written by

Sodiq Oyeleke is a Media, Human Resources, Project Management and Public Relations Practitioner

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2016 NEWSTRAWL. All rights reserved. Designed by oxv234.com

Back To Top