Monday, September 01, 2014

I Never Knew My Education Would Go Beyond Secondary School

Monday, September 01, 2014


I Never Knew My Education Would Go Beyond Secondary School - NIJ Best Graduating Students






Sodiq Oyeleke was not born with the proverbial silver spoon. Growing up was tough, being able to attend school was tougher.

Despite the rough path, he still graduated as the overall best student, noting that he didn’t see his poor background as hindrance to achieving his goal. Born by a trader mum and a fashion designer dad, they couldn’t give him the financial support expected of parents. Sodiq, however, is of the opinion that he cannot blame his parents for what they are unable to provide.
After his elementary education, he gained admission into the secondary school and came out with good grades in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).
“When I graduated from the secondary school in 2008, I never knew I would be able to continue my education.” Sodiq told National Mirror in Lagos at the fourth convocation ceremony of the Nigeria Institute of Journalism, NIJ, recently. He is one of the 85 students who graduated with the National Diploma from the institution.
“An unknown parent actually gave me five thousand naira while I was making the graduation speech as the senior prefect of my school. It was that money that I started a small business with.” He explained further that after he lost the two admissions he was offered, he lost hope. But as fate would have it, he got another admission at NIJ and it was a friend of his who sacrificed her school fees for him to be able to pay.
At the same time, adding the little money he got from the catering job he engaged in to clear some other expenses. It didn’t stop there; Sodiq revealed that there are times he slept under the Ikeja Bridge as he didn’t have the transport fare to take him back to Ebute Metta where he stayed with a friend. “I believe one can still make it no matter how worse things are. I never bought textbook during my stay in school.
I can also remember a day one of my lecturers asked me to stand up in class and he asked my classmates to contribute money for me because I used to wear a shirt for one week. I just thank God for everything.” None of Sodiq’s family members was able to attend the convocation ceremony.
He was cheered by friends and colleagues. Despite all odds, Sodiq never relented. He gathered money during his internship and was able to write another UTME and now a student of the prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University, where he is studying English Language. Of a similar experience is the 2010/2011 overall Best Student, Ganiyat, Owolabi who claimed other four awards on this day. She believes there is no successful journey that was smooth from the beginning. She noted that there is no student that is not meant to be successful, all it takes is determination.
“I can remember not having the transport fare to take me to my UTME center. I had to beg for money that day. I got to the examination hall late and I couldn’t finish and I scored 194 in that examination. That was why I opted for Nigeria Institute of Journalism,” she told National Mirror Both Sodiq and Ganiyat urged their fellow students never to be discouraged no matter the situation they find themselves.


NATIONAL MIRROR - Classmates contributed money to buy him clothes _ National Mirror.htm

Written by

Sodiq Oyeleke is a Media, Human Resources, Project Management and Public Relations Practitioner

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2016 NEWSTRAWL. All rights reserved. Designed by oxv234.com

Back To Top